The Year in Review: Overall, a pretty lackluster group of nominees that were nonetheless fun to do. Stella Dallas and Night Must Fall are both films that I'd highly recommend, and it's kind of funny that the film I liked the least, Dead End, featured the eventual winning performance for me. Claire Trevor is incredibly memorable and fascinating in her performance, and I think her low screen time count actually played in her favor and made me like her even more. Dame May Whitty gave an equally interesting performance, but had just a few more weaknesses that made it impossible for me to pick her. Andrea Leeds was kind of a travesty, and Alice Brady lacked the necessary material to deliver a truly memorable or amazing performance. Anne Shirley perhaps has the most potential for her grade to rise upon rewatch, because her character was so lively and one or two moments are what cost her from being truly great. My second year was another weaker one, but hopefully Year #3 will be a great one.
All Supporting Actress Nominee Rankings:
- Anna Paquin in "The Piano"
- Emma Thompson in "In the Name of the Father"
- Claire Trevor in "Dead End"
- May Whitty in "Night Must Fall"
- Anne Shirley in "Stella Dallas"
- Rosie Perez in "Fearless"
- Alice Brady in "In Old Chicago"
- Holly Hunter in "The Firm"
- Winona Ryder in "The Age of Innocence"
- Andrea Leeds in "Stage Door"